.
"Food: Science, Art, Passion, Pleasure, Adventure & Exploration"
.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Baking Adventure 6: Cotton Candy Cupcakes


So, I finally got around to using the LorAnn cotton candy flavoring I wrote about earlier. I decided to do some cotton candy cupcakes, rather than cotton candy cookies.

For the cotton candy cupcakes I decided to make a white and moist cake batter from scratch with vanilla bean paste and a hint of soft pink food color gel (I use Americolor). I wanted to give the white cake mix batter a very subtle pink hue. Very light and very delicate, like white fluffy clouds that were kissed and slightly made to blush.

For the icing, I used a larger drop of pink food color gel so that I got the perfect cotton candy pink to top each cupcake. I used sparkly, irridescent, pink sanding sugar and a small bit of lavender sanding sugar to top each generous swirl of icing on the cupcakes. I added the cotton candy flavoring to both the white cake batter and the icing (a bit more for the icing so that it developed a true cotton candy flavor). I also used vanilla bean paste to enhance both the look and flavor of the icing.

I formerly wrote in a preview, that the smell of the LorAnn cotton candy flavoring oil reminded me of many diferent scents other than cotton candy and that concerned me, but I have to say, once I incorporated it into the cake batter and icing mixture, the true cotton candy fragrance, that we all recognize from carnival grounds and fairs, and the cotton candy taste, came out beautifully and right on target. The smell of a flavoring product is often very concentrated in the bottle, so it is most likely going to smell different than it does when used in a recipe. Keep this in mind from now on when seeking out flavorings and oils for recipes.

I wholeheartedly recommend the LorAnn flavoring oils for any recipes that require a cotton candy flavoring.

These were absolutely delicious.

Here are the results:

 



2 comments:

  1. Hi. Your cupcakes make my mouth water. I'm a butter cake lover. Could you share the recipe please? I'd be really thankful. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you pleaseeeeeeee send me the recipe you used for the cotton candy cupcakes? how much of the oil did you use and all that. I have searched high and low but just cant seem to find anything. My email is harpseal111us@yahoo.com...I would so appreciate it!! Walmart use to sell these and my frandson LOVED them but they no longer carry them..Would love to give him some from Nana!!

    ReplyDelete