.
"Food: Science, Art, Passion, Pleasure, Adventure & Exploration"
.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Baking Adventure 9: Fudgerrific Brownies


^ Two fudge brownies stacked in a glass bowl


^ A batch of fudge brownies on a platter

These brownies are topped with a fudge coating. They're super rich and the chocolate content is high. If you don't like chocolate much or if you are worried about calories and your weight or you react oddly to chocolate like myself (although that seems to never stop me from indulging like a mad woman), then stay away from this recipe!

As mentioned previously, I used the recipe from The Waspy Redheads's blog: LINK

You can try your hand at these hedonistic brownies by following the recipe within her link.

My fudge layer came out a bit differently. The top is a smooth, fudgy, matte finish with a velvety look and texture and my fudge layer is not as thick. I used salted butter for the chocolate ganache layer which gives the flavor a distinctive blend of salty and sweet. Next time, I'd like to have a thicker layer like The Waspy Redhead, so I'll be making a much larger batter in a higher pan so that there's more room for a fatter layer of ganache.

I thought about adding Nutella to the batter mix, but next time I will experiment more with variations in flavor.

Caramel, praline, butterscotch or peanut butter tops would be exquisite . The choices are endless, especially the more exotic and "outside the box" you get with ingredient experimentation.

Some unusual flavors to incorporate into this recipe would be:
  • Blueberry
  • Macadamia nut butter 
  • Maple fudge and candied bits of bacon (if you dare...or care)
  • Blend of sweet spices, cayenne pepper and your choice of a heady liqueur
  • Green tea
  • Mango curd or mousse
  • Sweet potato pie (as a top layer)
  • Gingerbread (perhaps as a custom ganache or as a top, dense bar layer to the brownie)
  • Kumquat ganache or mousseline

No comments:

Post a Comment