.
"Food: Science, Art, Passion, Pleasure, Adventure & Exploration"
.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Yeast Dough Kind of Life

I promised to make some sticky buns last week - to fully document the preparation and the results and post them here, but don't worry, this will be my next baking adventure. My schedule and plans have been very challenging and hectic lately and life's become very similar to restructuring and shaping a fine yeast dough. I am looking to "bake a fine product" after putting in a lot of "hard and dedicated hand work".

My career in food is a path I want to develop with persistence, patience and perseverance. Oh...and of course, most importantly, passion! Those are all the necessary p's aren't they?

Hmmm...well I guess we can throw in an extra seasoning to this mix - a bit of practicality. *ahem*

Anyway, one of my plans has long been to get involved in food writing and establish a freelance career, while I continue to develop  as a pastry alchemist (I adore this word!) and plan the finer details of my bakery, Sweet Curiosities, which I'd like to officially launch someday. I'd be mighty decent at food writing, especially as I refine my skills and become more seasoned. I am not sure which area of food writing I am most interested in, but I'd like to experiment and work in a variety of areas to explore and find out. At some point, I might do a proper post on the deeper thoughts I have on food writing.

I'm obsessed with food, I delight in writing, and I have the curiosity of a zillion cats. Research, exploring and learning are all tasks and processes that excite and stimulate me endlessly. I certainly wouldn't mind being paid for any of this.

Right now, I am gathering a variety of resources to prepare myself - searching for and attending workshops, participating in communities and groups for food writers and journalists, continuously consuming food knowledge in the form of shows, video podcasts, books, journals, magazines, articles and etc., taking local community college courses on journalism, keeping up blogs and daily writing exercises, scouting for writing opportunities for beginning food writing professionals, and much more.

I'm doing what I can to further and hatch this goal. I've been thinking about this for a long time and I realize I can spend forever contemplating and preparing my drey with thought-nuts like a squirrel, so it's time to really take the plunge, get to work and start somewhere.

Food writing would be an amazing way to make a living as a freelancer. It complements my goals for establishing a bakery and becoming an expert in the world and industry of food and food-making.

I still have plans to attend culinary school, but after assessing my financial situation for some time, even after investing money in attending culinary school this fall, I realize I am better delaying that plan until later when it is more feasible. My original plan was to attend Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts (PICA) in Vancouver, but that plan fell through, unfortunately. I was really upset about that, but I am taking everything in stride now and looking at alternative ways to execute my goals.

Some campuses that I am looking into for future culinary school choices are Culinary Institute of America (Greystone campus in Napa Valley region in California, specifically St. Helena) and the French Culinary Institute. As to the former, the admission requirements include having at least 6 months of experience in a professional kitchen or food service environment. I can apply anytime, but acceptance requires meeting that area of eligibility. I am currently working on that. I have some offers for volunteer bakery work which I am very excited about. I can't wait to get my hands dirty, break myself in to professional kitchen experience and learn from those who are veterans of the industry. I'm always looking for mentors and muse opportunities. It's also great to meet new people who share the same passions. I'll get my chance at a culinary program in due time.

So, screw making lemonade, I am making a fabulous Meyer lemon mousse pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment