.
"Food: Science, Art, Passion, Pleasure, Adventure & Exploration"
.

Friday, January 1, 2010

The Beginning of 2010

So, it's nearly an hour after the turn of the New Year and I promised myself that I'd start something very different and very new. I finally saw the film Julie & Julia and it inspired me. I thought, "Wouldn't it be so cool to do something similar to Julie Powell and challenge myself to cook or bake something each day and document it?"

I relate a lot Julie Powell's character in the film. There's a part in the film where she's in bed with her husband and says that she rarely finishes anything that she starts. I can so relate! I wouldn't say I rarely finish my goals, but there are so many projects that I've left by the wayside. I started with incredible enthusiasm and then...fizzled out.

I don't have ADD (I don't think!), but I'm so full of ideas at any given moment, that it's so easy to go from one thing to the next. I am a bottomless pit of ideas. In fact, I could write a big book of ideas and probably get it published and sold. But who wants to be a shadow boxer? I'd like to be the star in m ring, for once and get the credit, fulfillment, and reward I deserve.

I get this feeling of wanting to take on everything at once. Perhaps it does relate to patience on some level. I enjoy envisioning, building a concept or an idea, but maybe once I get started on the very process of carrying it out, I get bored...unless the process continues to stimulate me with the conceptual side of things.




I also think I'm not selfish enough. Some people are too self-absorbed and yes, I can be that way, but in some areas, perhaps I need to be more self-absorbed. I need to put myself, my ideas and my goals first.

This blog is an attempt to focus on my love and passion for food; the art, the science, the eating, learning, the exploring, and the making of food.

My first baking task for today (later on) will be making a cake (from scratch of course, both batter and buttercream icing). This is something I've done many, many times, but it is the first time I'll be documenting it in a blog. What do I plan to make? Well, here are some options I'll be choosing from:

  • White Chocolate Creme Cake
  • Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
  • Caramel Cake
  • Coconut Lime Cake

Just so you know, I prefer making my buttercream icing with butter. So much better for the flavor. No Crisco or shortening for me.

Stay tuned...

Oh, and I will properly introduce myself later on. You're already reading (well hopefully people WILL be, down the road) and you have no idea who I am, what I do, or why you should give two good craps about reading this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment